Friday, August 19, 2005

Grace

Tuesday I lost my grandmother. When we are as old as our parents, or maybe older, we view death with a certain wisdom, a knowledge of the circle our lives must make to return us to whatever you believe our beginnings were, but as youths we're a bit too "in the moment" for that kind of transcendent acceptance, as I discovered this week.

In my arrogant forethought on the matter, I viewed my grandmother's progression toward death with a kind of detached logic. She had lived a good long life, aged gracefully, and seemed prepared for her imminent departure to the next world. I knew her death would be gentle, peaceful, not sudden, but soon. Knowing ahead meant I felt ready. That I would accept the news with dignity, in complete control of my feelings, which would be a mixture of appropriate sadness and delicate relief at her release from the tiredness and weakness of age. Labeling my emotions in advance made them fit easily into manageable portions. There would be no awkward scene, no blubbering. I was ready to let go of her, I was sure.

How utterly ridiculous of me.

I miss you, Phyllis Grace. Watch over my son, that he might know your love. Peace be with you. Peace be with us all.

2 comments:

Mrs C said...

You were always so good at knowing exactly how I feel. I wish we were closer, but at least we do have this weird internet mode to meet in. Just knowing you are out there somewhere and that we're still connected - sharing what we think and feel - reminds me of our good old days and makes me feel a whole lot better. Gracias, Gabriela.

Marian said...

Oh honey!

You don't know me but I am annie's friend from Atlanta. I am so sorry to hear about your gramma. Grief can be so hard. Love to you and your family !